MPAS members have contributed over 50 photos that will be on display at the Coolart Homestead Gallery from July 15th 2018 to August 26th.
Pictures include: spectacular wide field shots of the Milky Way, eclipses, auroras and comets, as well as views of the Sun, Moon, planets, nebulae and galaxies as seen through our telescopes.
Additionally on display are various items of astronomical paraphernalia.
Drop in and Visit!
Sponsored by the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council and PrimeSCI!
MPAS National Science Week Photo Competition (Entries Now Closed)
MPAS invites submissions from primary & secondary school students to an astronomy themed photo competition as part our National Science Week program.
Saxon 90mm Refracting Telescope
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Binoculars
Entry to the annual Astrophotography Workshop
Photos can be of anything (day or night) and using any sort of camera, provided they have a reference to the subject of space or the night sky.
Photos will be judged on content, composure & creativity.
Email your entry (and a description) as well as your details (including age & parents details) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The terms and conditions
- The picture needs to be taken in the last 12 months and must be solely the work of the photographer who enters
- One entry per person only
- Entrant must be aged 18 years or under at closing of submissions
- Parent/ Guardian's permission is required and their details need to be included in entry email submission
- Judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
- Participant needs to be a resident of Victoria and be able to collect prize from Mt Martha
- Copyright and intellectual property of the images remains the permission of the photographer
- Photographs may be used by MPAS on our websites, social media sites or in print and will be credited wherever the images are used
- No submissions from family members of any MPAS committee members will be accepted
- Submitting your entry constitutes acceptance of these conditions
Entries close midnight the 12th August 2018. Winners will be notified in advance and announced at our National Science Week event on August 17 at the Briars, Mt Martha (shown below). It would be expected winners (and their parent/ guardian) can attend this event.
National Science Week - 15th August 2018, 8PM (Updated Topic 13/8/18)
The Next Generation of Planet Hunting
NASA is set to land in Mount Martha for National Science Week, with Dr. Laurent Pueyo from the Space Telescope Science Institute delivering the annual Science Week public lecture about the exciting hunt for Earth-like planets around other stars.
Astrophotography Workshop - 8th September 2018
Come and participate in our popular workshop at the Briars.
Bookings for this event are online only. All previous events have booked out well in advance, so get in early!
Public Viewing Nights
Held on the FIRST FRIDAY of each month at the Briars Visitors Centre, commencing at 8:00PM, these popular events are a great chance to view the Moon, planets like Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, interesting stars and clusters as well as bright satellite and Space Station passes, all with a wide array of telescopes supplied by our members.
For more information: Click Here.
The MPAS regularly holds its General Meetings for members and anyone interested in joining the Society, on the THIRD WEDNESDAY of each month, at the Briars commencing at around 8pm. These meetings are an informal way of learning more about the MPAS and it's activities and new members are always welcome. They are usually divided into two sessions separated by a coffee break.